Friday, August 15, 2008

帰国...無聊 - The Return...ennui

For the two or three of you that read this, I am back home(?) in Denver, and well, not much else to say. I can say that the time I spent in Japan was unequivocally the best time of my life. I met some great people that have been influential in inspiring me to do things, as well as, being the coolest dudes around. I have never been happier than when I was in Japan; everyday had promise of something new or interesting. I had the profound luck of ending up in Osaka and the surrounding Kansai region, and I think this made the experience even better. Whether it was it going to cacophonous downtown Osaka or taking in the serene beauty of Kyoto (and its women), the Kansai region just offers so much. To think I had all of this and I got to experience it with great friends just makes it that much better. If I could go back and do it all over again I would, but I can't and the only way to remember those times is by photos, videos, and memories. I was in Japan for 9 months and it felt like it went by in one day. For me, Japan just feels like it's in my veins, and I can't really explain in any more depth than that. Of course there were shitty times in Japan like being sick for a week and nearly flunking a class due to said illness, but just the subconcious realization that I was in Japan (finally!) helped propel me through the more downtrodden times and it made me have a more positive outlook than I have ever had before. What is troublesome for me, I guess, is how do I move on and use those as underpinnings for my future experiences. One way is that it has made me realize that I have to study more Japanese and has helped motivate me towards achieving goals I set for myself earlier in life. So, I will finally be taking the plunge and taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, Level 2 in December in Chicago.また今度。

2 comments:

Jon Evans said...

Word son, Word.

It feels like that was all one elaborate, expensive weekend. We will return buddy, no worries.

I'll see you in Denden town, I'm buying the first round

Jon Evans said...

old habits die hard, like a cat in pajamas